Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I don't get marketing

MongoDB 3.0 is almost here. It includes the WiredTiger storage engine which is very impressive. Alas, now we are told that the original storage engine has performance problems. I am shocked. Who knew? Not anyone reading their documentation. I don't understand why companies play this game. Be honest with your users as this goes a long way to building a solid and educated community. I hold MySQL to the same standard. Lets us not forget that awesome manual section on atomic operations.

Don't let the marketing team have editorial control over the documentation team.

Edit: an era has ended, the section on atomic operations has been removed from the MySQL manual.

2 comments:

  1. Mark, my group owns documentation at MongoDB. We strive for accuracy above all else. If there are particular pages that need improvement, please let us know. The Docs project is a public Jira project (https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/DOCS) and you have filed tickets in the past. When you do, we work hard to make corrections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have already filed a few requests and the response has been excellent.

      Delete